Fr. Patrick Peyton
This weekend I came across a site re. Father Patrick Peyton visiting England.
Back in the 1950's he visited our school.  Does anyone else remember him?
He's up for sainthood, so I feel sort of honoured to have seen him.
(20 Oct 14, 4:54 PM)Pat Wrote:  This weekend I came across a site re. Father Patrick Peyton visiting England.
Back in the 1950's he visited our school.  Does anyone else remember him?
He's up for sainthood, so I feel sort of honoured to have seen him.

Prayer Crusade

[Image: frPeyton2.jpg]Fr Peyton was so grateful to the Blessed Virgin Mary for his health that he, with the permission of his superiors, began the Prayer Crusade which took him all over the world preaching the importance of prayer, especially family prayer.
He staged hundreds of radio and television shows with many of the famous movie stars of Broadway and Hollywood taking part. He was the founder of "Family Rosary" and "Family Theatre".
His famous slogan was:
"The family that prays together,
stays together."
I didn't know all that about him back then.... just that he was trying to get people to say the Rosary.
He's deceased now.
Here's a picture of him leading a Rosary rally at Consett in 1952. There are more pics at the following site

http://www.rcdhn.org.uk/about_the_diocese/history_rosary_rallies.php

Patrick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very interesting.  Thanks Patrick.
I didn't realize that he was quite as 'big'.
It's good to see someone who is so sincere about their faith.
Pat can you remember going to the Tin Hut on springwell road, when the missionaries used to come there, and I can recall going to sunderland to some rally or some thing like that but I don't know if it was Fr peyton or not, I can recall the slogan " the famley that prays together stays together"
Hello Mary, How are you doing?
I vaguely remember the tin huts, but cannot remember why I was there!  Sad  Think that was before, or when, I first came to live in Jarrow.
I don't remember Fr. Peyton at Roker Park, but I didn't go.  Fr. Peyton came to our school so didn't need to.  We could do with a bit more peaceful stuff these days, instead of all the fighting and awful stuff that's going on now.  Think we had to make a pledge to say the Rosary??   Wonder how many still say it.
(29 Oct 14, 12:30 PM)Mary Wrote:  Pat can you remember going to the Tin Hut on springwell road, when the missionaries used to come there, and I can recall going to sunderland to some rally or some thing like that but I don't know if it was Fr peyton or not, I can recall the slogan " the famley that prays together stays together"

To Mary & Pat....Here's Father Peyton at Roker Park...

1952 Family Rosary Crusade in the diocese, led by Father Patrick Peyton
[Image: rosary3small.jpg]
1952 Family Rosary Crusade, led by Fr Patrick Peyton. This was the first Sunday Rosary Rally at Roker Park.And as Patrick mentioned In his post,more photo's on this site..

..http://www.rcdhn.org.uk/about_the_diocese/history_rosary_rallies.php
My grandfather's generation called the tin hut the "Loaf Tin" It was used as a sort of parish centre. During the bombings in 1941 it served as a temporary refuge for those whose houses had been rendered uninhabitable.

Patrick