Early drinking days
Where and what did you first start drinking on a regular basis?

For me it was woodpecker cider on a Saturday night with me best mate. I was about 14 and me mate 17. Me Mam & Dad at the club and me older sister would have her boyfriend round. To keep me from grassing, her boyfriend would buy me & me mate a bottle of Woodpecker to share from the off at the top of Albert rd. We progressed from this to Old English and then adding a few cans later.

We used to get steaming then pedal into Jarra shops for fish & chips. Used to think we were the business being drunk on out bikes.Cool

It all came to an end when, to stop me younger sister grassing on me, we starting giving her and her mate some some of our cider. She was badly hungover one Sunday and spilled the lot to me Ma!:eek:

What about others? got a tale to share?
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
Aye it was in valley view park. Loads of us used to drink cans of brown ale.

Looking forward to some of these joining our site and giving us there stories :p
I was about 14, me and me mates used to go to Vicky wines and get cider and oranjeboom, a cheeky little dutch brew (cheapest there was). Also Colt 45 with the pin up on the can. Few times I even bought the big party can. Drank it on the bank near the horse shoe bridge. Used to get that drunk I just rolled down the bank at the end, happy days.
One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever
I remember trying to get served in the Greyhound when I was about 14 and coudn't understand why Nellie Lamb wouldn't serve me. I wonder if it was because I used to knock about with her son thick or what [Image: icon11.gif]
The first drink I ever had in my life was in the Western,on Western RoadWink
I was 8 years old and used to sneek into the little snug with me da.

I had to stand on my tippy toes to lift me half pint down.

It never really affected me drinking at such an early age Hic.
St James Park till the day I die.
Ours was cider too we used to drink a huge plastic bottle of the stuff before going to the saxon club in Jarrow ( anyone remember that ) thought we were the bees knees was about 14 they used to play really good records there.
chris fl Wrote:Ours was cider too we used to drink a huge plastic bottle of the stuff before going to the saxon club in Jarrow ( anyone remember that ) thought we were the bees knees was about 14 they used to play really good records there.

Was the club on the corner of Grant St and Hill St part of the old chatholic school bombed in the war. If so it was called Aka House youth club.
I started drinking at 16 in the Forge and Hammer, my first drink was a pint of Mcewans Scotch, terrific.:brushteeth:
granda Wrote:Was the club on the corner of Grant St and Hill St part of the old chatholic school bombed in the war. If so it was called Aka House youth club.

hi granda it was always called the saxon club when I went but it was on that corner.Smile
chris fl Wrote:hi granda it was always called the saxon club when I went but it was on that corner.Smile

I suspect i,m a bit older than you, so that name "AKA" House was in the late fifties, early sixties.Smile