Early Memories of Jarra
What is your earliest memories of growing up in"Jarra". Mine is when i was growing up in old Monkton terrace were that tanning place is now. Getting sent to the shop on the corner, Lille Corrs i think for a jug of mushy peas and a pasty. I can still remember the taste to this day, they were the most tasty thing I've ever had. Also living down there i just remember the opening of "the tunnel". how about all of you.Smile
The estate I lived on had several small play areas: swing, slide and climbing frame. There was also two ships and play area with a helicopter, airplane and 2 tanks. All these were made from metal bar framework - would be classed as death traps by todays health & safety brigade.

We moved from Hebburn School flats to this estate and I can remember being overwhelmed at not only living in a house on the 'ground' but also at having all these amazing play areas.
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
Yes i remember moving from Monkton terrace to primrose as a lad and being excited that the "Netty" was inside. No more cold behinds oh the luxurySmile
We lived on Simonside View and my earliest recollections was the constant noise of the bin wagons going to the dump.

Also the Don stream getting flooded and over flowing before all the landsacaping work was done.

We used to make rafts out of old wood and tin baths.
jarraman_1 Wrote:Yes i remember moving from Monkton terrace to primrose as a lad and being excited that the "Netty" was inside. No more cold behinds oh the luxurySmile

Outside lavs are before my time but my Dad used to describe them to me. Hard to imagine it these days but coudln't have been much fun in the winter.Confusedmow:
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
Yes I remember them. Freezing they were. But, you never got up during the night to go to the netty. You had a p??s pot by ya bed.
I as I remember we had a zinc bucket that me mam would get rid of in the morning. Oh what a subject, potty mouth ha haSmile
SmileI never lived in Jarrow, but I can remember the old Tin Bath and Washing Tub with a Poss Stick...this was when I lived at my Grandmothers house, in one of my photo albums on site is a Oven Range similar to the one she had.
While I love our modern central heating system, there was something magic about a 'Coal' fire...aahh!! memories...brilliantSmile:tea::couch2:
O & A'S fish shop. Sneaking into the Regal to watch a cartoon,The rocketman or Zorro then the main film.Getting into the Empire once a year using empty Brooke Bond tea packets. I never did get to The Picture House before it went to bingo
Raiding bonties to pinch their stuff. Building rafts on Jarra slacks.
Was any one at the "Rock concert" at Charlies Park when we chased the Wallsend skinheads away.
Walking to Jarrow from Primrose along the "white pipe" where the Tunnel Road is now.
Playing cricket all day using bin lids for wickets.
Walking through the tunnel to the fish quay, getting free fish off the boats then selling it door to door on a Friday afternoon.
Meeting me dad coming home from Reyrolles at the level crossing at the junction of Albert Rd. and Victoria Rd. east where he usually cadged a lift on a coal train. He used to bring two pieces of wood home in his bait bag each day to chop for sticks to light the fire.
A steamroller repairing the road in Oak St. and me mam cleaning the tar off me hands and face using butter. Don't ask me how that worked, it just did.
Moving to Primrose and having a garden out back instead of a cobbled lane.
Fishing for sticklebacks in the dene outside the Robin Hood before Calf close lane estate was built on Dodd's farm.
Catching frogs at the "White Pipe" previously mentioned and now buried under the tunnel road.
Trainspotting at the Greyhound pub and collecting blackberries along the railway embankment for me mam to make jam.
Nicking naggies (turnips) out of the farmers field and eating them raw. they didn't half make your gums sore.