Dougies Tavern
I think Hedley had the magic touch cos despite it's location it was a roaring success. He did do a lot of work on it and extended it quite a bit and put a car park in.
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
There was a minibus used to run from The Robin hood to the Albion at Bill Quay and Dougies Tavern.Don't know how long it lasted.
i did all the roofwork on the side and rear extensions on there...it looks a sad state the way it is at the minute..i used to so look forward to the weekends in there..have some great memories of the place.
I remember going in with pals to celebrate a birthday and the food was mmmm!! magic...its truly a shame to hear that its looking run down now..cheers Cait
At last it seems like Dougies is going to be rocking once more Big Grin

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/business/latest-news/750-000-pub-revamp-will-create-50-jobs-1-5524374

Great bit of news this as I spent many a weekend (and a fortune on beer) in that place during the mid 90's.

Hopefully everyone that missed it and longed for it to re-open will support it.
Hope they do well there. I get the feeling though that this might not happen due to the price of beer etc.

This maybe be 10 years late. Hope I.m wrong.
martin_1972 Wrote:At last it seems like Dougies is going to be rocking once more Big Grin

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/business/latest-news/750-000-pub-revamp-will-create-50-jobs-1-5524374

Great bit of news this as I spent many a weekend (and a fortune on beer) in that place during the mid 90's.

Hopefully everyone that missed it and longed for it to re-open will support it.

It was my pub when I lived in Nansen Street in the 60's when it had it's original name the White Lead.
It would have been about two bob a pint (ten pence) then.
The Adventurer Wrote:It was my pub when I lived in Nansen Street in the 60's when it had it's original name the White Lead.
It would have been about two bob a pint (ten pence) then.
When It reopen's...the name Is to be The White Lead once again..
It's Official name was The Royal Hotel.The white lead was given as a knickname cos of the paint works across the road

Attached Files
.jpg   white lead.jpg (Size: 65.6 KB / Downloads: 14)

Be good to see the booza reopened, it's right eye sore these days.

Sounds like they got big plans for it as wel,, spending £750K and generating 50 jobs!
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.