Dougies Tavern
What's happening with Dougie's these days? Did this refurbishment ever happen?

Quote:
Tavistock Leisure plans to spend about ?1m transforming the former Dougies Tavern, in Blackett Street, Hebburn.

Work has already started to clear the arson-hit and vandalised pub, which has been closed for several years.

But it is hoped the premises will re-open as a deluxe Tavistock Italia restaurant and bar by the end of July

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/1m-revamp-plan-for-arsonhit.3664115.jp
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
Ah, just found this article, they've changed their minds and decided to flog it instead. So presumably it's still boarded up?

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/Register.aspx?ReturnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shieldsgazette.com%2Fnews%2FPub-sales-could-help-pay.4609339.jp

Quote:
The group had originally hoped the sale of the Tavistock Italia would coincide with the reopening of its Dougie's Tavern pub in Hebburn, but has now ditched that plan.

The credit crunch has prompted it to shelve plans to open a ?1m restaurant at the Blackett Street pub and instead put it up for sale too – for ?350,000.

Tavistock Leisure managing director Mark Hird said: "In the current climate, we have put Dougie's Tavern on the market to see what happens.

"But that doesn't mean we may not eventually proceed with our development plans at the site.

"I would think a sale in the very near future is unlikely. We will have to see how the market goes."

Paul Hedley, who owned and ran Dougie's Tavern for 10 years, before selling the former Royal Hotel in 2002, said: "I'm very sad the plans for the pub have not gone ahead because I was looking foward to the new-look Dougie's opening."
If anyone buys it then it'll cost an absolute fortune to bring it up to its former glory

To be honest IMO this pub will be pulled down. Beyond repair.

Will try and get a photo of it.
Gotta agree, doubt it will ever reach the sort of popularity it enjoyed in it's heyday, especially given the current financial climate.
a recent picture of dougys,,,looks like its been pillaged by the local villans,,

[Image: 090829Dougies.jpg]
What a sorry sight!!!Sad

And to think it used to one of the busiest pubs in Jarrow/Hebburn in it's day. I remember it used to get packed on Sunday nights. I used to rent a house round the corner from it and so would drive past regularly and the crowds outside in the Summer were huge.

Good pic bigvin but very sorry to see the place in such a sad state, I hope they do something with it soon.
Its so sad to see this very popular establishment in such a state.

Had some great time in their over the years. Still think it will be demolished as the expense to bring it back to it former glory would be massive.
yeh its a real shame how its turned out ,,,hedley spent a lot of time and money on getting the place on the map ,i used to go there also ,had some great nites and bank holliday aftrenoons,,maybe if the current finacial climate has a change it mite happen,,,sign off the times
So many new homes being built in Jarrow and Hebburn, I gather this was a very popular venue..what a shame, its in a state now..when it could be a busy pub for locals....cheers Cait
Problem is now though there is not many houses near the pub. Makes it quite expensive when u have to get Taxis etc.