Chip Shops
loved Francos on the scotch estate when growing up. i think his mam was called Sandra?
jarraman Wrote:Hahaha, think the fights at the Bus Station should be started on another thread. Would be a canny thread.

haha, i forgot to mention the fights at Madison Square Jarra bus station!
peggy grieves was mint i grew up on valley view and used to get me tanner bag of chips and me da's fish skin if i was lucky !!!!!!!!!!.her brother eddie used to have a wet fish shop down jarrow town center .they were the best i have ever ever had
I can remember during and just after the war when you had to take your own news paper to wrap your chips in.( by the way Jarraman and fisherman thats 1939/1945 war not 1914/1918 one) ha ha Big Grin
lizciggy Wrote:Yes it was the shop was at the top of out street and when she served you with any chips she always licked her fingers as she got the newspaper to wrap your chips in we used to get three penith worth that cost 3p.and they tasted good.Wink
We used to call Peggy 'dip n' lick! happy memories...
I remember sitting on the wall outside waiting for our mates to be served and eating our chips. Now I sympathise with those poor people who lived in the house next door. I'll bet their garden was always littered with chip wrappers too... not left by us of course!
May your troubles be less, your blessings be more, nothing but happiness come through your door.
I remember the one ne t to the Regal and next to the Station Stairs you used to get loads od scraps on them.
hi flossie just had this debate on facebook.'scraps' or 'scramshions' :confused: we were brought up to call them 'scranshions'.wonder what other members call themWink
Peggy Grieves was always batter.
scranshions elizabeth,all day long.
Mary Wrote:I can remember during and just after the war when you had to take your own news paper to wrap your chips in.( by the way Jarraman and fisherman thats 1939/1945 war not 1914/1918 one) ha ha Big Grin
If you took a pile of newspapers to Soaves on the Scotch estate you got a bag of chips for themBig Grin