Chip Shops
Peggy Greaves in my opinion was the best chippy in Jarrow.

Done with Beef dripping you could smell the place for miles.

Chippy was in Norham Terrace.

Was there any better?
Aaahh!! jarraman....I could just eat some fish n chips right now.....Wink Smile
Yes it was the shop was at the top of out street and when she served you with any chips she always licked her fingers as she got the newspaper to wrap your chips in we used to get three penith worth that cost 3p.and they tasted good.Wink
Cait Wrote:Aaahh!! jarraman....I could just eat some fish n chips right now.....Wink Smile

Have you been to Peggy Greaves for fish and chips before?
jarraman Wrote:Have you been to Peggy Greaves for fish and chips before?

SmileSorry jarraman, just read your message...The answer is no never been to Peggy Greaves, but from what your saying she was very good.
When I go online to read the Gazette, it has regular mentions about a chip shop in Shields..is it Colmans?..again not tried that one either...
The best time to eat chips is when your down at the Beach..aaahh!! lots of salt and vinegar..can pop or beer..pure magic...Smile
cheers Cait
We used to Soaves on the scotch estate.I you took a load of newspapaers in they used to give you a bag of chips.Smile
Back in the 1950's you could get fish and chips for 1/1d (6p?) I remember being upset when chips went up to 4d because they were using new potatoes!! Smile I doubt if you could buy the paper they're wrapped in for that now!!!!
Also remember fish & chip shop opp. the regal cinema,but the best in jarra has to be the one by the station stairs, next to the north eastern bar.
Can smell them now, (ha ha ha) on a diet my mouth is watering.:laugh:
I agree with you Jarrowlass! They were good fish and chips, and very popular after an evening out.
Pat Wrote:I agree with you Jarrowlass! They were good fish and chips, and very popular after an evening out.

Aaaahh! lasses, you have me thinking of chips..crispy tasty chips...and vinegar...all day....mmm!! think I just put weight on reading about Fish Shops...lol...Smile
Wonder how much does it cost now for a bag of chips and a decent size fish in the town....mmm!! off to make a salad sarni....:tea: cheers Cait