Catholic Prayer book
Can anyone remember the 'little prayer book' it was about two inches x two and a half inches. It cost 6d I think and for some reason mine kept disappearing so I had to buy one every week. In it was Catechism, 10 Commandments, Mass, wedding ceremony and more. The Mass was in Latin and while i was still at school the Catholic church in all it's wisdom, changed the Mass from Latin to English. I think it might have been when High Church and the Catholic church joined up. Being a catholic, my use of Latin was very useful when I studied English so that I could interpret some of the usage of Latin words in the English gramma. j
I remember there was 2 versions when i was at school Joanii.
A blue covered one which we used in Infant School & in Junior School, we moved onto the red covered one.
It was the blue one that I remember. They were lovely. I tried to get one at the Bible Shop in newcastle but sadly, no luck. x j
Don't think they've been printed for years Joanii. I tried to get one for my daughter when she was little in the 80's. I tried both the little shop that was at the back of St Matthew's church after Sunday Mass & the Bible Shop but couldn't get one.
to joanii and pauline m, do you remember the priest coming in once a year to test the class on how well they knew the chatacism,he would point at anybody and ask you a random question, god help you if you didnt know the answer, after he left,if one of the finnigans was teaching you, the kids of today dont know the meaning of stressed out:mmph::mmph::mmph::mmph::mmph::mmph:
crazy horse Wrote:to joanii and pauline m, do you remember the priest coming in once a year to test the class on how well they knew the chatacism,he would point at anybody and ask you a random question, god help you if you didnt know the answer, after he left,if one of the finnigans was teaching you, the kids of today dont know the meaning of stressed out:mmph::mmph::mmph::mmph::mmph::mmph:

We were tested every Friday by Mr Rogers. He used to line us up around the classroom & if you got a question wrong you dropped down a place & if everyone after you got theirs right, they moved up a place.
The bottom 3 got the strap!!!!!
Barbaric by today's standards lol
I don't know about 'The Little Prayer Book' but I've still got a 'Simple Prayer Book'. Don't know if they're still in print, but it was a popular prayer book. I also have an old red catachism somewhere. Most of the religion that I learned was in Miss Finnigan's class.
Pat Wrote:I don't know about 'The Little Prayer Book' but I've still got a 'Simple Prayer Book'. Don't know if they're still in print, but it was a popular prayer book. I also have an old red catachism somewhere. Most of the religion that I learned was in Miss Finnigan's class.

Thats the one, Pat
My memory is a bit off but thanks for reminding me. It was a lovely little thing and although I wasn't very religious I used to read it over and over again. I loved it. x joan
crazy horse Wrote:to joanii and pauline m, do you remember the priest coming in once a year to test the class on how well they knew the chatacism,he would point at anybody and ask you a random question, god help you if you didnt know the answer, after he left,if one of the finnigans was teaching you, the kids of today dont know the meaning of stressed out:mmph::mmph::mmph::mmph::mmph::mmph:

Oh, yes I remember it well. It used to be every Monday morning for us and it used to make me quite ill because I wasn't a 'good' catholic and used to dodge going to mass and holy communion. So I used to try and sit all innocent so he wouldn't pick me.
Did that sort of testing make you remember any better, Pauline M? Smile I remember in secondary school, having to learn the order of the Mass. I was the only one who couldn't remember it. Day after day that teacher had me stand up and recite it.. and at the end, I still couldn't remember it!! A mental block! However, I do remember most of the catachism that I leaned in Miss F.'s class. For me, she was the best teacher I ever had.