Borough Road Disco
Just Passing Wrote:After my time also .......
I only remember Acker House on corner of Grant Street/Hill Street
Just missed out on the upstairs Store Hall in North Street Jarrow by a few years (tried to get in a few times but knocked back as too young - never did learn to bop)
Next was Jessies (upstairs Store Hall) on corner Lyon Street/Albert Street Hebburn
Never ever went to the Ambulance Hall Victoria Road Hebburn
Next Civic Hall Ellison Street Jarrow
Missed out on Franchi's as well
I had just turned 18 a few weeks before it shut for good and me mates younger than me got in, but the bouncer threw is out as too young
Yi cannot win can yi
(Mind if I had of known where this kids disco was in Borough Road I would of went there that night .............)

Mind did not miss out on The Mayfair or the Oxford Galleries Newcastle
Or the Cellar Club or the Tavern in Shields

Mind nobody was ever too old or too young for the ole 'Yella Wellie' (Golden Slipper) was thi .................
Eeh in the Ranch Hoose n the Shoreline n the Latino n the 69 club n thi Jungle n thi Borgundy Cobbla in thi Carlos Cabin,Uncle Toms,Sands,Kinks ................

For those that don't understand - Golden = Yella and Slipper = Wellie
Mind I used to call it the 'Claggie Mat' cos yi got clagged ti the mat with all the drink spilled on it .........

So where was this Disco in Brough Road then ................?????????????

Well J.P. You Must be a bit younger than me as The store hall was going in my time and the amulance hall, with all the teddy boys in there long draped suits and there blue suade beetle crushers, the shore line was called the beach club,and the latino, these were night clubs, oh Boy those were the days, memories are made of this.:dance::dance::rockon::rockon: still don't know where the disco was in Borough Road ????
Sadly, the hall where the Borough Rd Disco was held, is no more.
It was in the the back lane of Croft Tce, at the top end towards Kent St.
Saturday night was a better night than Friday.
i remember borough hall discos seems a very long time ago now
Pauline M Wrote:Sadly, the hall where the Borough Rd Disco was held, is no more.
we used to go fridays but saturday we went to bernheads methedist church in hebburn it was great there.when we got old enough to drink we went to the mill tavern then down to bernheads in time for the bradford barn dance it was great you got to dance with all the lads :p
Pauline M Wrote:Sadly, the hall where the Borough Rd Disco was held, is no more.

Pauline I should remember that hall it is where I had my wedding reception. But i never wernt to any disco there,Must have missed that one.RolleyesRolleyes
Borough Road disco started in 1962/3 as Borough Road Youth Club and was ran by Rosalind Gibbons ( now Slater). It was held on a Friday night with a 6d entry fee. I am not sure of the name of the group who used to play but Brian Rowan was the guitarist. Some of the people who went in 1962 - Paul Thompson, Micky Pratt, David Tripcony, Tommy Simpson, Ruth Thom, Jean Carlisle, Jean Davis, Christine Marriott, Val Brown, Pat Gowans, Andrea Ash, Eileen Pope, Christine Rooney, Dave Short, Tess McCabe, Bernard Hanna to name but a few, will all be about 64 now. A mixture of mods and rockers, happy days.
I went in the early 70's but it was a disco then - no live bands. Cool
Chic Wrote:Borough Road disco started in 1962/3 as Borough Road Youth Club and was ran by Rosalind Gibbons ( now Slater). It was held on a Friday night with a 6d entry fee. I am not sure of the name of the group who used to play but Brian Rowan was the guitarist. Some of the people who went in 1962 - Paul Thompson, Micky Pratt, David Tripcony, Tommy Simpson, Ruth Thom, Jean Carlisle, Jean Davis, Christine Marriott, Val Brown, Pat Gowans, Andrea Ash, Eileen Pope, Christine Rooney, Dave Short, Tess McCabe, Bernard Hanna to name but a few, will all be about 64 now. A mixture of mods and rockers, happy days.

That explains it it is after my time,1962/63 I was to bussy looking after my child, and didn't get out much,1954to1958,is about my era.WinkWink
did the mad monk not join the police ?
zippie Wrote:did the mad monk not join the police ?
no i think it is Johns brother who is in the police. john worked at Westoe pit.
anybody know who the DJ was at Borough road disco?