Belsfield ( Boys )
vinnievinyl Wrote:i went to st bedes ,harold st 1954-59 can you rmember some othe teachers, paddy corr hughie cunningham, corrigan,tommy bushell mick mc kenna ,donkey o brien, can you remember cunnas big bike and his old car i think it was an austin, mr thompsons leather strap he kept it in his inside jacket pocket smoking in the toilets ,pins in the end of tabs to get the last draw, annie rowlands corner shop, good schooldays days ,holy island island camp,boxing runs round the island early morning ,old ridge tents good days n happy days straw beds ,cold water washing never done us any harm happy days any old bedes lads out there.
I remember having to go to see Paddy Corr who was the head master at the time, cos I got caught smoking in the toilet... He had a cane and I got six of his best, three on each hand. I remember Hughie Cunningham and vaugely remember O'Brian
can you remember a teacher called mr fallon, he taught me as a second year i think, then he left
I can remember Frankie Fallon although I can't remember what he taught.
Welcome to the site Owen.
Billyc Wrote:I can remember Frankie Fallon although I can't remember what he taught.
Welcome to the site Owen.
he was my 2nd year form teacher, i think he was an english teacher, he left the next term i believe
Here's a photo of a class at Mayfield school in the mid 30's.My wifes mother is on the photo.

Attached Files
.jpg   mayfield.jpg (Size: 91.45 KB / Downloads: 57)

LoshT Wrote:went there 1964 -1969.

some say it was a hard school, but I don't think so. It just did not have the resources to bring the best out of the kids that went there.

some of my class...

LoshBig GrinBig Grin front row,left boy,Im sure its Peter Beardsley
St James Park till the day I die.
I went to Belsfield, around 1962-1965. Frank McKenna was one of my teachers. He smoked like a chimnney and his fingers were yellow.

The last time I saw Frank, he was walking towards his house on Fellgate Avenue, Boldon.

Pupils I remember...

Paul Fleming
Tommy Bushell, no relation to the teacher.
John Moad
Kevin Fairley, sadly Kev died a few years ago
Tommy McMullan
Terry Finnigan
Terry McLaughlin
Joe Lowe
Anthony Davidson
Paul Perry
Ray Harbison

I left school with no qualifications,like everyone else,how I ended up in IT Idont know.Big Grin

I often wonder,if any of those old teachers are still alive. Bushell,McKenna,Brennan,Cunningham etc.
St James Park till the day I die.
Sad to hear of the death of John Ford aged 81. He was a teacher at St Bedes in the 50's as far as I know. RIP.
staffy Wrote:I went to Belsfield, around 1962-1965. Frank McKenna was one of my teachers. He smoked like a chimnney and his fingers were yellow.

The last time I saw Frank, he was walking towards his house on Fellgate Avenue, Boldon.

Pupils I remember...

Paul Fleming
Tommy Bushell, no relation to the teacher.
John Moad
Kevin Fairley, sadly Kev died a few years ago
Tommy McMullan
Terry Finnigan
Terry McLaughlin
Joe Lowe
Anthony Davidson
Paul Perry
Ray Harbison

I left school with no qualifications,like everyone else,how I ended up in IT Idont know.Big Grin

I often wonder,if any of those old teachers are still alive. Bushell,McKenna,Brennan,Cunningham etc.

Harry Brennan is alive and kicking. Does a lot of walking and bowling. Here he is these days.

[ATTACH]412[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   harry brennan.jpg (Size: 22.43 KB / Downloads: 286)
My dad went here (Frankie Coyne) - he used to tell me a story about Tommy Bushell blowing up the science lab and being carried out on a stretcher. I'd love to know if this was true, as he ended up being my science teacher later on!