Belsfield ( Boys )
Anyone go here.....had real fires blazing in some of the classrooms that were in the main house.

Some of the teachers:

Mr Doran head
Mrs Doran
Wanless
McDonald
Harry Brennan
Mick Fay
Tommy Bushell
Miss O'Hara
Mr Sutherland
Mr Coyne
Mc Nally bothers Philip and Raymond

School choir in St Matthews, when the whole mass would be sung.

Eventually had the annex across the road too where the mixed classes ended up moving to.
mad_geordie Wrote:Anyone go here.....had real fires blazing in some of the classrooms that were in the main house.

Some of the teachers:

Mr Doran head
Mrs Doran
Wanless
McDonald
Harry Brennan
Mick Fay
Tommy Bushell
Miss O'Hara
Mr Sutherland
Mr Coyne
Mc Nally bothers Philip and Raymond

School choir in St Matthews, when the whole mass would be sung.

Eventually had the annex across the road too where the mixed classes ended up moving to.

Harry Brennan is still alive and very active.
went there 1964 -1969.

some say it was a hard school, but I don't think so. It just did not have the resources to bring the best out of the kids that went there.

some of my class...

Attached Files
.jpg   bedes class of 66 67.jpg (Size: 29.78 KB / Downloads: 213)
Another good thing was the camps at holy island. I went there 2 years and love it.

Anyone recognise these Bede's boys?

Attached Files
.jpg   st_bedes_camp_1966.jpg (Size: 102.95 KB / Downloads: 116)
My bro in law was there about then I think.Will show him the pic when hes next at mine.

I went there too but 1972-1977.As one of the few lasses there among all them lads we soon learned we had to stand up for ourselves..lol.

All my memories of there are good, even the outside toilets :eek:. When you look back that school had nowt as regards equipment especially for the lasses but was a great place to be.
Is the lad on the right Peter Burns.
I left in 69.
I never thought it was a tough school but there were some hard cases there just ahead of my year. They weren't nasty, just tough.
Billyc Wrote:Is the lad on the right Peter Burns.
I left in 69.
I never thought it was a tough school but there were some hard cases there just ahead of my year. They weren't nasty, just tough.

Yes it is, the others are Fred Morrison, David Young, out of shot is John
Gallagher.

who was your older brother?
Is anyone old enough to remember when Belsfield was an all girls school, with Miss Hetherington as Head Mistress!!! I didn't go there, but we used to go to a class in The Hall, which was the back of the church at that time. (1949-ish) We shared a playground and dining hall with Belsfield girls. Our teacher was Miss Finnigan (Nellie). Now there was a teacher...........!!!!
Hi Pat, slightly off topic but a photo has just been posted showing a 1950 photograph of St Bedes. Its the boys but maybe you know some of them.

Attached Files
.jpg   john tompkins.jpg (Size: 94.21 KB / Downloads: 155)
LoshT Wrote:Yes it is, the others are Fred Morrison, David Young, out of shot is John
Gallagher.

who was your older brother?
I am the eldest. also,to cause a bit confusion, when I thought about it I actually left in '70