Alan Price
canny bairn Wrote:California or Jarra, i know where i would rather be, JARRA.

Ahhh canny bairn.....come home man Rolleyes
no contest --beckstevieb
my brother george fleming used to knock about with alan price. they and a couple of other lads used to spend hours upstairs in my dads cafe. also you mentioned ann heywood i wonder if she was lilly heywoods daughter , lilly heywood worked as a cook in my dads cafe once had alan price sitting in the front seat of the wedding car i was driving he either didnt recognise me or choose not to, such is life RolleyesRolleyes
My Nana used to talk about Alan Price living down Jarra centre when they did, if she was right(and my memory serves me well) his family scraped together the money for piano lessons???. She never forgive him for the drinking out of "Jam jars" statement.Sad. (cannot remember it myself but she banged on about it..:laugh:.).I would like anyone to clear this one up for me and probably put it in the context it was delivered in.

The bloke did well and is one of Jarra's famous son's.:thumb: hats off to him.
canny bairn Wrote:California or Jarra, i know where i would rather be, JARRA.

Ya cannit get saveloy dips or stotties in California so i'll choose Jarra.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
In the Jarrow Song there is a verse.

"when you lay some money down, the people try to put you down, now where do I stand either side of that"

Wonder what Alan means.
jarraman Wrote:In the Jarrow Song there is a verse.

"when you lay some money down, the people try to put you down, now where do I stand either side of that"

Wonder what Alan means.

As I remember if you had money, you were no longer one of them and were seen to be above your station in life or as a person giving charity, so people would put you down or not bother with you any more. perhaps he's asking as a successful musician where he now stands?
Chunkie Wrote:As I remember if you had money, you were no longer one of them and were seen to be above your station in life or as a person giving charity, so people would put you down or not bother with you any more. perhaps he's asking as a successful musician where he now stands?
California is God's country!
ged Wrote:California is God's country!

God bless America? :hippie:
(19 Aug 10, 6:57 PM)Just Passing Wrote:  
Mary Wrote:You are right it was Russel street. His step father was call John Ross, and is still alive, he will be 102 years old in october.

So it was his stepfather
And his name was John Ross
Living Russel Street (I still get mixed up with them streets)
So this is the marriage here (ones her former name, and others maiden name)
Marriage
1953 - 2 records found

John ROSS Spouse: Elizabeth PRICE Date: 26/06/1953
John ROSS Spouse: Elizabeth GOWENS Date: 26/06/1953
His stepfather is 102
Well good on him