About Catherine Cookson
[wiki]Catherine_Cookson[/wiki]
You can take the lad out of Jarrow but you can't take Jarrow out of the lad.
I think I must have read just about all of Catherine Cooksons Books, and I liked many of the Television productions made using her stories.
I met her a few times when she was visiting Shields. She was one lovely lady, but tiny...or maybe me at 5'-8" she just seemed tiny.

She did a lot of good charity work for our area and the Hospitals. :ranger:cheers CaitSmile
Like you Cait I love the Catherin Cookson books, I have read some of them more than once, and the t.v. Programs based on her books are great. Her writing will be sadly missed by a lot of people.Sad
How/where did you meet her Cait? I would love to hear about it. I have most of her books, and loved them all. I received a reply to a letter I sent to her, many years ago. That was as close as ever got. I would have loved to have met her.
Pat Wrote:How/where did you meet her Cait? I would love to hear about it. I have most of her books, and loved them all. I received a reply to a letter I sent to her, many years ago. That was as close as ever got. I would have loved to have met her.

Hi Pat, sorry just saw your post....I first met Catherine Cookson when she was at the South Shields Museum on Ocean Road, she was doing some sort of presentation or other.
One of my jobs at the time was working in the Arts/Media in the North East, and I was just lucky to meet her. We did speak to each other and a few weeks later I did get the tasks of writing to her and her husband Tom.
Cheers Cait
My Gran who was about the same age and knew her, absolutely hated her, as most writers do, she used recognisable personages and incidents in her stories, although the names were changed, everyone knew who it was she was characterising.
I have watched several of the Tyne Tees productions over the years and as stories they are above average and make decent afternoon veiwing, but I wish most of the actors had propper Geordie accents!
I think the reason I liked her was because I could recognise the characters as people I could have known. Think her first book was "A Grand Man', and it made me think of my own dad and me, and it was a nice feeling.